Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Schehera-what?

So I was flipping through my cousin Kristen's Tastebook this weekend, since we got together on Saturday to go food shopping and cook, and I came across a recipe with a funny name:

Scheherazade Casserole
S-c-h-e-h-e-r-a-z-a-d-e
I have absolutely no idea how to pronounce it.

The recipe comes from the New Moosewood Cookbook.  For those of you that have never heard of Moosewood, it is a restaurant in Ithaca, NY, that serves vegetarian fare.  I think the cookbook is out of print now, so you have to buy it used.  My abovementioned cousin gave me a copy of the abovementioned cookbook when she moved to Boston, but so far, I've only made one recipe (Gypsy Soup).  I decided to venture on to a second recipe and made the Scheherazade Casserole recipe last night, a casserole of bulgar, ground soybeans, veggies, and feta.

Oh
my
goodness

It was soooooooooo good.  I made a few modifications.

1) Not realizing that the recipe called for dried soybeans, when I whirled the can of wet soybeans with one cup of water in the blender, instead of resembling a course batter, it resembled milk.  Off to the pantry to improvise!  Out I came with a can of garbanzo beans.  I added half the can to the blend, and viola!  Course batter!

2) I love this brand of chorizo that I get at Whole Foods, so I bought some for the heck of it on Saturday.  After sauteeing the yellow pepper, onion, and garlic, I added the chopped chorizo.  This, I think, made the dish!  I have been eating it non-stop for the past 24 hours.

No comments: